Thursday, April 23, 2015

Something Crazy Happened

So I named this blog "Emma's Crazy Life" back in my youthful years (for those of you who don't know I am now a full blown adult) thinking that my life was pretty eventful and crazy. As the years went by I realized nothing all that crazy has ever happened to me. Well the time has come, and I am finally going to be able to tell you a truly crazy story! So pull out some popcorn and get ready because it's gonna be pretty awesome.

This story takes place on Monday, the 20th of April in the current year of 2015. It was a seriously beautiful day here in Oregon; the sun was out and there wasn't a cloud in sight. It was predicted to get up to a whopping 80 degrees! I had plans to meet up with two of my good friends Chris and Caleb right after I got out of school to go ride quads and eat cinnamon rolls and all that good stuff. I was pretty excited because the amount of homework that I have had to do this term has been astronomical and I haven't had much time to be social, and I'm not very social to begin with, so pretty much the only time I saw people outside my family was at school and church.

Things were going well, I got out of school a little early and started driving out to Chris's house. Chris lives out in the boonies, so I was going to count myself very lucky if I got there without having to call and ask for directions (which probably wouldn't have worked very well because I am more of a landmark direction person, not a street name direction person, so I would've been like "well....I'm here by this tree." and that doesn't help because this is Oregon.) I was able to make it, thanks to google maps, and we started suiting up and getting ready to go. We were delayed a little by having to go get some of Chris's siblings from their track practice, so by the time we actually started riding it was around 5:30.

We had a lot of fun! Chris and Caleb are much more experienced at riding than I, plus they were on dirt bikes instead of a gigantic quad like I was, so they were going much faster than me. I kept it under 35 mph (you're welcome Mom). We rode up to some scenic points and posed on some logging equipment and had a photo shoot because that's just what happens.





Now for the crazy part: On our way back (it was around 7:00 now) we took a little detour which was fine with me because this new road was grassy and smooth so it was easier to ride on for me. However, I was not expecting there to be a sudden change in the level of the ground I was riding on. It was like a mini cliff (really mini: less than a foot), but I was at the bottom of the cliff trying to get onto the top. Seeing this, I tried to slow down (luckily I had already slowed down from going around a big curve so I was only going about 20mph) so I wouldn't crash, but this was all for not because I crashed anyways. First crash I have ever had and it scared me so bad. I was thrown off the quad and was somehow caught by a tree and then the gigantic quad came sliding (I'm guessing it slid...I don't actually remember because I'm pretty sure I blacked out a little) behind me and pinned me against this tree. I remember flying through the air a little and next thing I know I'm on the ground and it feels like something is on top of me.
I COULD NOT MOVE!
Guys this was the freakiest moment of my life. It was just like one of those movies about reckless teenagers that you see all the time in theaters. I screamed, hoping that my friends would hear me because they were ahead of me this whole time we were riding. I thought I was gonna be stuck there for a while, and it was not very comfortable. There was enormous pressure on my whole body, my shoulders in particular. I think I was under there for about a minute or two before I hear the sound of a dirt bike coming towards me. Chris felt like he should came back to see if I had made it over that little cliff and thank goodness that he did. He tried to get the quad off me but this thing was huge, and Caleb hadn't come to find us yet. Luckily he was able to wiggle it just enough for me to get myself out. We spent the next hour and a half trying to get the quad back on it's wheels, and trying to get it to start so we could get back. Eventually Chris's dad came and helped us and then we were on our merry way, all a little traumatized I think. I know I was.
Trying to get the quad back on the road
This is where I was, pinned by the quad
and the tree

This is the path of my crash. On the right you can see part of the cliff.
It is a miracle that I made it out of this situation alive. It doesn't make any sense how I wasn't crushed by that quad and killed. The fact that I made it out without even breaking any bones is a miracle. I know that my Heavenly Father saved me. There is no other explanation. Heavenly Father and Jesus showed me how big of a part they have in my life, and I am so thankful for it.

All in all, I think I will be very lucky if nothing crazy ever happens to me again.

2 comments:

The two old crows said...

I am glad you are okay. That looks scary.

Grandpa Sid said...

Emma,
Every day we pray that "all" of our family will be safe from harm.

We are thankful it worked in your case!